A strong emphasis is placed on the environment, sustainability and biodiversity on Tykillen Farm.
Measures taken to support the natural flora and fauna include;
- Forestry plantation
- Limited fertiliser use
- Large areas of farm in permanent pasture
- Over 1 hectare planted with wild flowers and corn to support birds and insects.
- Wildflower meadow planted
- Many bird and bat boxes sited around the farm as well as several sand mounds to support solitary bees.
- Established hedgerows form the majority of perimeters around our farm and between fields.
We are members of Origin Green and the Bord Bia Sustainable Lamb Production Scheme and are participants in the GLAS (Green Low Carbon Agri-Environment) Scheme.